Who doesn’t love green peas? And what better way than to make use of its rich fiber content by making a soup of it. I usually add green peas to many dishes – Cabbage stir fry, Aloo Kurma, Keema Mutter, Vegetable Pulav to name a few.
This recipe is loosely adapted from one awe-inspiring blog 101cookbooks.
Prep + Cooking time: 25 mins
- Green Peas – 2 cups – fresh/frozen
- Onions – 1/2
- Green Chillies – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
- Coriander/Cilantro – for garnish
1. In a cooking pot, heat about 2 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds, cloves and bay leaf. Saute for a couple of minutes. When the cumin seeds splutter add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute until onions are translucent.
2. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Saute for a couple of minutes.
3. Add green peas to the pot now. Add a cup of water and let it simmer for about 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove from stove, let it cool down a little and remove the bay leaf and cloves. Then blend smoothly in a blender.
5. Depending on your desired consistency, add more water or blend longer.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves and some more peas.
I served it with whole wheat bread croutons (dry toasted in a pan on stove) and it tasted great. You can as well serve with paneer/cheese crumbs.