Gokarakaya/Goru Chikkudu is yet another flavorful and easy to cook variety of beans rich in fiber and protein content. It can be cooked in many different ways – marrying it with potatoes is one of them.
Prep + Cooking time: 45 mins
- Gokarakaya – 1n1/2 lbs
- Aloo/Potatoes – 3 small sized
- Onions – 1 small-sized
- Green chillies – 4
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a handful
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or to taste
1. Take the beans in a colander and rinse well under water. Remove the ends, cut each into 1-inch length pieces and set aside.
2. Wash the potatoes, peel off the skin and cut into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
3. In a skillet, heat about 2 to 3 tsps of oil. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. When they start to splutter add chopped onions and green chillies. Saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent.
4. Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Saute for a couple of minutes.
5. Add chopped potatoes and gokarakaya now. Saute, cover and cook for about 15 to 18 mins constantly checking in between to avoid burning out the beans. Check with a spoon if the beans are tender enough and remove from stove.
Serve with rotis and/or rice.