Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
- Sona Masoori rice – 2 cups
- Tomatoes – 2 large or 3 medium sized
- Aloo/Potatoes – 1 large
- Onions – 1
- Green chillies – 4 or 5
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves – 5
- Bay leaves – 4 or 5
- Cinnamon sticks – 2 or 3
- Cardamoms – 3 split open
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsps
- Salt – 1n1/2 tsp or taste
1. In a bowl, take the rice and soak in water for about 15 to 20 mins.
2. In a wide skillet/pan, heat about 3 tsps of oil, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and cardamoms.
3. Once, they start to splutter add chopped onions, green chillies and saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent enough.
4. When the onions are done, add the turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and saute for a couple of mins.
5. Now, add the chopped tomatoes and potatoes to the skillet/pan. Saute well. Cover and cook for about 3 to 4 mins or until the tomatoes are soft and tender. Also add some coriander now.
6. Drain all the water from the soaked rice, and take it in a rice cooker. Add about 3n1/2 cups of water (less than twice the amount of water since, rice was already soaked in water for about 20 mins and there is also enough moisture in the tomato gravy/paste).
7. Add the tomato gravy to the rice and cook until done.
Serve with plain yogurt or raita and you have a quick and yummy dinner/lunch dish.